:: Re: [devuan-dev] devuan's 1st confe…
Author: Ivan J.
To: devuan developers internal list
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] devuan's 1st conference
On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 07:26:05PM +0100, KatolaZ wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 07:07:31PM +0100, Ivan J. wrote:
>
> [cut]
>

> > Thanks for the input.
> >
> > Jaromil and I decided that we should hold our horses on the ticket sales
> > for now. It'd be best to ask for sponsorship and help in the announcement
> > first, and then start selling tickets if/when needed in January/February.
> >
> > This gives us a big enough timeframe to decide where and how to sell the
> > tickets.
> >

> Hi,
>
> that looks like a sensible option. The only problem is that we can't
> postpone the start of the booking too much: people need to know
> roughly how much the conference fees will be, and they must be
> guaranteed a place as soon as they book the conference (especially if
> they come from abroad and need to arrange travel and accommodation).
>
> Shall we set an internal deadline (e.g., end of December?) by which we
> must know the cost of the fees and have the booking system up? Or
> shall wee have the system up now and then collect fees afterwards?
> (but I guess the latter one might be a bit more complicated to
> manage?)

If we have no sponsors then we're definitely losing money, no matter
what. We don't want to charge insane amounts of money for entrance fees.

Personally, I'd release the announcement tomorrow, ask for sponsors and
help with donations, and wait until end of December. Then we can decide
what to do and start selling the tickets. I think 4+ months is a decent
amount of time for the majority to decide if they wish to visit the
conference and organize themselves.

--
~ parazyd
GnuPG: 03337671FDE75BB6A85EC91FB876CB44FA1B0274