:: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to m…
Author: Daniel Reurich
To: KatolaZ, dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question
</snip>

> Maintaining the option of choosing between the two is what Devuan is
> trying to do, knowing that it might become harder to support it as
> time passes. My guess is that there is no real reason for the basic
> system (the stuff needed at boot time before you get to the point
> where other filesystems are mounted) to be heavily affected by such a
> change, since packagers are not going to hardcode /usr/bin/sh in their
> scripts from tomorrow.

To be honest I don't even think the option should be presented at
install time - certainly not in the way it's currently being presented
in the installer - adding yet another dialogue.

I suggest we add it as option in the package-selection to install
usrmerge or drop it altogether. People that care can install usrmerge
at any time post-installation and deal with the consequences.

(At the rate we're going, we're adding a new dialogue in the installer
per release... soon it will become more tedious to install Devuan then
installing windows...)

Where upstream does stupid things the way to respond is to patch submit
a bug report with a patch to Debian to fix it citing policy (FHS applies
here), and also submit patches directly upstream requesting they don't
do things that break conformance by hard coding paths to the wrong
locations unnecessarily.

And if Debian maintainers fail to accept patches, then we can look to a
solution in Devuan - either by forking the package or by setting up
diversions and/or symlinks to resolve the issue.

Cheers,
    Daniel

--
Daniel Reurich
Centurion Computer Technology (2005) Ltd.