:: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to m…
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question
On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 05:24:24PM +0100, Alessandro Selli wrote:
> On 21/11/18 at 16:59, KatolaZ wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 07:32:22AM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> >> Quoting Roger Leigh (rleigh@???):

> >> For values of 'following' that equates to noting that the matter has
> >> been discussed, but then ignoring its substance.
> >>
> > Dear Rick,
> >
> > you could have noticed that in essence Roger pointed to the merged-usr
> > solution as not only impractical, but also risky and of doubtful
> > usefulness.
>

>   So, you agree then that:

>  3. "you can't split the package database between separate systems"
>     (whatever this means, who needs to split the package database and why?);

This is about upgrades using the package manager.
If there are two /'s sharing one single /usr, when you upgrade, one of the
/'s will be upgraded consonant with the /usr, and the other will not be.
How then to upgrade the other /? Its package database will no longer
be in sync with its /usr.

-- hendrik