:: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to m…
Author: Didier Kryn
To: Rick Moen, dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question??
Le 17/11/2018 à 20:51, Rick Moen a écrit :
> Quoting Didier Kryn (kryn@???):
>
>> If you want to boot directly to the disk, then don't use a distro.
> I very much do not concur.
>
> Since 1992 -- with a gap when I was lazy for a long time -- I've found
> it useful to construct bespoke kernels for my systems that compile
> inline the essential drivers and build as modules drivers that might
> or might not be needed later at runtime. But nothing about that local
> policy contraindicates my using a distribution, and never has. I love
> using Linux distributions, leveraging the work of talented package
> maintainers so as not to need to revert to the bad old days. Why would
> I not? The advantages to me are considerable, among those a smaller and
> faster kernel image, a smaller attack surface, less to go wrong, and
> eliminating the need for an initramfs.
>
> Your dichotomy makes no sense to me.
>
>> This isn't anything new. Initramfs is the easy way for distros to
>> provide all possible device drivers as module.
> But some of us don't want all possible dervice drivers as modules.
>
>> Otherwise, your kernel should be compiled according to the hardware
>> detected by the installer.
> Sounds good to me.

    Seems we agree. What I mean is that you must carefully tweak your
OS so that the package manager does not undo your settings. It also
means that you cannot use kernel updates from the distro because you
just don't use the kernel of the distro. You only partly use the distro
and do a lot by hand. I do this when necessary (and with a custom
initramfs), but certainly not all the time - too much work.

        Didier