:: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to m…
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
New-Topics: [DNG] Devuan Jessie + Huawei USB modems
Subject: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question??
On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 01:21:05 +0100, Miroslav wrote in message
<075cb09d-9f17-1610-ced5-7ad556f5e5a4@???>:

> On 11/17/18 3:18 PM, Didier Kryn wrote:
>

> <snip>
>

> >     The advantage of separating /usr is it can be mounted after
> > boot. /bin and /sbin (and /lib) contain the critical applications
> > (and library) necessary to boot the system, and they are, by
> > necessity, part of the root filesystem. Merging /usr means,
> > actually merging /usr/bin with /bin, /usr/sbin with /sbin
> > and /usr/lib with /lib.
> >
> >     Merging /usr means all the bloat from /usr/bin and /usr/lib
> > will now be in /bin and /lib (not so much bloat in /usr/sbin). This
> > has very
>

> Two more questions:
>
> 1. Installing (too many) software from repositories tends to fill in
> /usr to the point it screams for space (particularly in older
> machines with smaller HDD). However it seems to me that the root
> filesystem is still happy in such cases. But what in case of merger?
> Can the whole system be rendered unusable? (Or screaming?)

..easily IME, just put _everything_ in / , then fire up aptitude and
pick the "Not Installed Packages (42209)" and see what happens. ;o)

..I killed it at 160%+81.something% load to bail out this time. :o)

> 2. What about local compilations of various 3rd party software that
> usually go to /usr/local/bin, sbin, lib, ... in case of merger will
> they all go to the root filesystem? More potential trouble? Yes/No?
> Tnx.

..you want these on its own disk, or at least on their own disk
partitions, like your /home tree.

Scenarios always come in sets of three: