:: Re: [DNG] Devuan on a Purism
Author: Taiidan@gmx.com
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan on a Purism
On 11/01/2018 10:20 AM, Alessandro Selli wrote:
> On 01/11/18 at 13:19, m712 wrote:
>> Your best bet is a killfile since he's guaranteed to bomb our inboxes after your message.

(not asking for a reply)

What makes you think that?

I am entitled to share my opinions no matter how unpopular they are.

Why can the other side constantly repeat what they have to say but I can't?

Is one person vs the entire tech media and millions in VC capital really
so terrible that I must be silenced?

>   Never mind, I'll stick to my statement and will ignore him.
>
>   However, I'm happy to read today there is more activity in the
> open-hardware front:
>

> https://blog.system76.com/post/179592732883/system76-on-us-manufacturing-and-open-hardware
>

> "So, what makes Thelio open hardware?

Nothing unfortunately - that term has been diluted quite a bit recently.

RISC-V is the only real open hardware out there where the files you are
provided really could make every bit of your computer not just an
overpriced case.

> The Thelio design we’ve worked on
> for three years is open source. That means anyone can study, modify,
> distribute, make, and sell the design. You can send the design files to
> a metal shop to make your own Thelio.

* with entirely proprietary components *

Metal shops don't make computers!

> You can adapt the design for your
> needs. Open source hardware is the physical version of open source
> software. We believe it’s important to apply the same passion we have
> about software freedom to the hardware itself. The open hardware
> community is young and small compared to open source software. We hope
> adding Thelio and Thelio Io to the ranks of open hardware will encourage
> others to join the movement and make their designs free as well. We’re
> very excited to see what people will do with free hardware designs. This
> is relatively new territory."

It isn't - other companies have been doing this for decades just without
millions in VC capital and slick madison avenue marketing teams who have
connections in the tech media.

>   I am yet to see what they've done so far, but it seems they are close
> to start production.
>
>   Forget it, it was straight on their home page:
>
> https://system76.com/desktops
>
> The Open Hardware Computer Is Coming <https://thel.io>

Only Risc-V stuff can be considered open hardware - what sys76 is doing
is simply a motherboard design for a collection of proprietary computer
components.

They can't legally call that computer "made in usa" since a case isn't a
computer - the board and chips are and not one of them is made here thus
all they are doing is selling american made computer cases not american
made computers.

Having a computer legally made in usa is difficult as the standards are
strict (as they should be)

The legal standard is "all or virtually all" components of a finished
product - therefore *everyone* currently claiming it is being dishonest
either a little bit (eg: raptorcs with the us made power cpus and us
assembled motherboards but with foreign everything else) or entirely
(eg: system76 and a litany of industrial OEM's doing simple screwdriver
assemblies and calling their hardware us made to get a shady edge in
government contracts)

> Eventually, all that will be left are proprietary hardware
> initialization bits and convincing Intel and AMD to open up there

If google can't convince intel to do that then no one can and I
guarantee companies like this will still be saying the same thing in 10
years "just a little longer" rather than dropping x86 as they should.