:: Re: [DNG] Devuan on a Purism
Author: Alessandro Selli
To: DNG
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan on a Purism
On 02/11/18 at 23:18, Antony Stone wrote:
> On Friday 02 November 2018 at 23:10:48, Alessandro Selli wrote:
>
>> On 02/11/18 at 13:36, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>>> Uness there is already a desktop environment adapted to the needs of
>>> mobile touch devices.
>>>
>>> Or they provide it. Unless they rely on systemd, of course.
>> https://pureos.net/
>>
>>         Free/libre software

>> PureOS is a derivative of Debian GNU/Linux, with the best
>> privacy-protecting software applications preinstalled.
>>
>> So, it does come with systemd. But it should be possible to migrate
>> to Devuan.
> That's an interesting idea, and it depends mainly on what they mean by
> "derivative", I think.
>
> Okay, so they have "the best privacy-protecting software applications
> preinstalled", but I wonder what else is different from standard Debian?
>
> I might well be interesting to do a dist-upgrade which PureOS wasn't expecting
> to happen to it, and find out what the outcome is.

  AFAIK the customizations concern mainly the graphical interface, the
presence of some drivers specific to the new device and a particular
selection of applications that (maybe) violates a number of Debian's
(and LSB) guidelines.

  Just to name one, they are going to replace Gnome's shell with a shell
of their own, Phosh:

https://developer.puri.sm/Environments/Phosh.html#phosh

  I'm curious to know how close it's going to be to a classic laptop
GNU/Linux installation.  For instance, will it have a *syslog daemon
with logs in /var/log?  And what about cron, at, locate etc?  Maybe not
out-of-the-box, but I expect the packages for these services to be
installable form the repos.  I really hope it's not going to be as far a
departure from the classic distribution as Ubuntu Touch (aka Ubuntu
Phone) was.

  I'd love to try upgrading it's PureOS to Devuan too.  It shouldn't be
too hard, as the Librem5 is designed to allow a number of distributions
to run on it.  Or at least it was, I can no longer find references on
https://puri.sm/products/librem-5/ of alternative distributions that
will be installable on the Purism5.

--
Alessandro Selli <alessandroselli@???>