:: Re: [DNG] ascii upgrade /w KDE
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Martin Steigerwald
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] ascii upgrade /w KDE
Arnt Karlsen - 03.11.18, 00:10:
> ..I'm beginning to think the good people at kde.org may have prepared
> themselves for this, by supporting, but not depending on systemd: 8o)

That is a pattern I saw with KDE project for quite some time. For
example, Plasma's audio support called Phonon allows to plugin several
multimedia frameworks.

> ..maybe we should take over KDE like we did sysvinit?

I would not aim at taking over KDE. But a cooperation on supporting
Plasma on distributions without Systemd might be beneficial. As far as I
know it should mostly work in the current state, as, as you said: Plasma
does support Systemd, but not depend on it.

> ..given RHEL's KDE move, and Ubuntu's init system(d), and the
> historical systemd banana republic politics, they _may_ prefer
> a plan B sort of wisdom over expensive panic attacks, if or
> "if" somebody shoots down "systemd support of KDE"...

Why would somebody do it? I don't think anyone has this kind of control
over the project to just force it over them. KDE is one of the
friendliest communities I have ever witnessed so far, there is no need
to take it over or anything. Just work with them.

Again, I'd focus on what I like to achieve, instead of wasting my energy
to be against something. All the energy put into resisting systemd is
better spend in supporting the alternatives.

Of course you are free to spend your energy any way you like to.

Currently I think there would not be all that much to do for KDE,
however I know for sure when I switch to Devuan for my desktop based
systems as well.

Thanks,
--
Martin