:: Re: [DNG] Please help with testing …
Author: aitor_czr
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Please help with testing the new version of sysvinit
Hi KatolaZ,

On 11/01/2018 10:44 PM, KatolaZ wrote:
> Dear d1rs,
>
> TL;DR:
> ======
>
> we need help in testing any regression with a new version of sysvinit
> (2.91-1+devuan1) that we have put in Devuan experimental
>
>    http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged  experimental main

> So if you are on ceres or beowulf, please try it out and report any
> regression.
>

> Longer version:
> ===============
>
> As some of you might know, there was a thread on debian-devel about
> two weeks ago in which it was proposed to remove sysvinit from the
> Debian repo. The main reason is that the package has been in RFA
> (Request For Adoption) since a couple of years ago. At that point,
> some Devuan developers stepped up and offered to help maintaining
> sysvinit in Debian, since we would have to maintain it anyway in
> Devuan if it gets dropped from Debian. Several DDs welcomed the offer
> (and among them Ian Jackson himself), and volunteered to sponsor our
> builds.
>
> In the meanwhile, Ian Jackson created a debian-init-divesity mailing
> list, and we contacted the last uploaders and the new upstream
> developer/maintainer (Jesse Smith, Distrowatch) to coordinate the
> efforts. We got a very good response from all the people involved, and
> the collaboration is proceeding very well. debian-init-divesity is a
> welcoming place (at starking difference to debian-devel, I must say),
> and most of the participants there have already been using some of the
> additional packages offered by Devuan, including elogind and eudev.
>
> We are now working all together on an upload of a new version of
> sysvinit in Debian experimental, merged with the latest upstream
> version from Jesse, which also solves some of the outstanding bugs in
> the Debian packages. Today I built a preliminary version of
> sysvinit-2.91 for Devuan experimental (2.91-1+devuan1), to be used for
> extensive testing. The package is relatively stable, but we need to
> test it as widely as possible to pinpoint any regression.
>
> So if you have a Devuan Beowulf or Ceres installation to spare, which
> could do some real work (like installing/activating different
> services, moving stuff around the runlevels, trying different options
> of boot/reboot, etc), then your help would be very useful at this
> point. You just need to add Devuan experimental repos to your
> sources.list:
>
>    http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged  experimental main

> and then
>
>    apt-get install -t experimental sysvinit sysvinit-core sysv-rc sysvinit-utils initscripts bootlogd

> Please report any bug to bugs.devuan.org. We will triage them and
> possibly forward upstream as needed (or solve them and merge the patch
> upstream directly). There will probably be several updates in the next
> few days anyway.
>
> Thanks for your collaboration.
>
> KatolaZ

The description  file *.dsc contains the checksum of:

sysvinit_2.91-1.debian.tar.xz

but the real name of the tarball is this other one:

sysvinit_2.91-1+devuan1.debian.tar.xz

The sources (the tarball) should not contain the version of the debian branch.
It should be: sysvinit_2.91-1.debian.tar.xz

http://packages.gnuinos.org/gnuinos/pool/main/s/sysvinit/

Thanks for the info :)

Aitor.