:: Re: [DNG] [devuan-dev] Debian Buste…
Author: Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
To: Edward Bartolo, dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] [devuan-dev] Debian Buster release to partially drop non-systemd support
On 17.10.2018 15:14, Edward Bartolo wrote:
> Why doesn't Devuan edit sysvinit to use systemd's unit files instead
> of scripts? That would bypass the entire problem.

That would be a *very complex* task - basically reimplementing much
of systemd logic. Nothing that I could aggree to support.

OTOH, we could (as mentioned in another thread) invent some small
declarative config file format for expressing at least the very
common cases, and use that for generating classic init scripts as
well as systemd unit files. Perhaps configs for various supervisors
could be generated from that too.

This approach could actually benefit the upstreams, as they now can
just declare what their services need, w/o ever having to care about
all the distro-specific issues.

Of course, this can only cope certain classes of services, and it
really needs to be specified very precisely. (maybe even have distinct
service types "x", "y", "z", etc).

By the way: much of the stuff I see in the more complex init scripts
could be moved out to external helpers, so the actual init scripts would
be pretty trivial.

--mtx