:: Re: [DNG] [devuan-dev] Debian Buste…
Author: Antony Stone
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] [devuan-dev] Debian Buster release to partially drop non-systemd support
On Wednesday 17 October 2018 at 15:54:11, Daniel Taylor wrote:

> I am becoming convinced that the proper course of attack is to reimplement
> all the systemd functions in the Unix paradigm.

a) I seriously doubt that that is possible, without effectively just re-writing
systemd

b) systemd's goalposts also move sufficiently fast that it would also be a
constant game of catch-up

c) where and how would you draw the line indicating what's unacceptable about
systemd - in other words, what exactly do you mean by "the Unix paradigm" in
your comment above?

> Too many developers are embracing systemd and it's getting harder to keep a
> functional Linux system without it.

True, but reimplementing it in some other way sounds to me as though you're
going to end up with the functionality we despise, just created with different
code?

> Sometimes the only way out is through.

Yes, but surely not to the same destination as the entire Devuan project is
trying to avoid?

Antony.

--
Wanted: telepath. You know where to apply.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.