:: Re: [DNG] Weird network issue - slo…
Author: golinux
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Weird network issue - slow to resolve IPs
On 2018-10-13 09:05, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 14:21:19 -0500
> golinux@??? wrote:
>
>> Greetings everyone,
>>
>> Something funny is going on with my networking. It's taking a very
>> long time to resolve host IPs across all browsers. It's been
>> happening for a week or two but I'm just now getting annoyed enough
>> to troubleshoot.
>
> Me too. I just noticed it about a month ago when I installed my own
> Unbound resolver instead of just sending all queries to 8.8.8.8.
>
> Somebody later in this thread mentions that you shouldn't judge
> resolution time by what the browser says. A few tests with dig and
> nslookup tell me that with most domains I've never hit before (or which
> have expired since I hit them), resolution usually takes less than a
> second.
>
> In my case, I'm temporarily assuming that before installing my own
> resolver I never noticed how much of slow browser loading was due to
> browser's inefficient dns operations.
>
> SteveT

I have some food for thought to share but first an update. A technician
came out today to check the line and setup. Line was clear and strong.
Switched the modem and now getting 256 down. But . . . internet is
still very slow to connect as verified by several of you. Once it gets
to where it's going, it is really fast. So here's my conclusion . . .

I think we are finally seeing the effects of the demise of Net
Neutrality. Corporations are raking in a lot of money streaming videos
to every imaginable device and the tech sites that I/we frequent are a
low priority. So we are being bumped to the slow lane. Aaron Swartz
and others saw this coming and it has finally arrived. Will be
interesting to see just how bad it's going to get . . .

HND

golinux