:: [DNG] OT: Re: Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: GPL…
Author: Martin Steigerwald
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] OT: Re: Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: GPL version 2 is a bare license. Recind. (Regarding (future) linux Code of Conduct Bannings).
Bruce Perens - 20.09.18, 23:23:
> Let's face it, guys. A *lot* of us are on the spectrum. I have motor
> neural pathology and might be too. Those who are not on the spectrum
> may still underperform in human relations, as we've just heard from
> Linus. We used to tolerate this stuff, and it cost us in many ways.
> We ended up having to put rules in place because so many folks were
> just plain unconscious, or (worse) aware of their issues and
> stick-in-the-mud refusers to learn.

I am replying to you just because it is, in my opinion, one of the posts
that actually has some balance in it, instead of just yelling "CoC" are
bad. What follows I do not direct at you, but at the audience of this
thread in general.

Most important thing for me here is:

Let Linus have his own experience and insights. It is not up to me
telling him that he might be making this all up or may be completely
right in his assessment. I do not know how he got to that experience and
insights and what talks in person may have contributed to it. And its
frankly simply not my business. I just congratulated him for his
insights and his courage to speak up like this, seeing the potential in
it.

Not my business is also the CoC Linux kernel developers and contributors
may or may not give themselves. I am mostly a by-stander. Sure I test rc
kernels and give (limited, as I usually do not bisect issues) feedback,
report bugs. But that is about it.

I just don´t see the point of this thread here that got started by
replying to a troll who cross-posted and repeatedly posted his statement
on several mailing list. Luckily on LKML he or she got almost no
attention. I still think "Do not feed the troll" is a wise advice. As
well as: Sometimes it is better to stay quiet instead of saying
something.

So I just recommend: Filter the troll posts and *be done* with it. I did
so. And did so with other troll posts before. Its the best thing to do
for my peace of mind. It is easy to do and it almost takes no time
(especially compared with the time I´d use to reply to him or her).

As long as Devuan project major developers and contributors do not
decide to give themselves a CoC I really think there is just nothing to
see and discuss here. I don´t see a need for a CoC for Devuan currently.

But for the Linux kernel community this may be different. While I think
there has been toxic behavior – not "just" by Linus – I let it to the
major developers and contributors to decide instead of (with almost
near-certainty pointlessly) trying to control whether they adopt a CoC
or not. I bet with almost near-certainty none of the kernel developers
who are invited to the summit where they like to discuss these things
are reading the discussion here.

KDE.org has a code of conduct. While at the same time they really have a
rather friendly and welcoming environment – if you ask me one of the
most friendly and welcoming ones I have ever witnessed so far. I also
still see honest discussions there where people share their point of
view and agree to disagree. They are very productive as well. Plasma and
KDE applications become better and more usable with every release. And
they work on making the project even more welcoming for new comers. I´d
say I even found friends within that project. They may not even need the
CoC, but I do not see it doing any harm either.

I really don´t see the point. What happened now won´t be the end of
Linux and that´s about it. There is no point for predicting doom unless
you want it to happen.

For me the Devuan is a quite welcoming and friendly community as well.
So I really don´t see that there would be anything to discuss here about
this topic.

Thanks,
--
Martin