:: Re: [devuan-dev] pre-assessing linu…
Author: Irrwahn
To: devuan-dev
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] pre-assessing linux 4.16.0-2 in ceres
KatolaZ wrote on 05.07.2018 19:52:
> On Thu, Jul 05, 2018 at 11:27:17AM +0200, Irrwahn wrote:
>> KatolaZ wrote on 05.07.2018 11:01:

[...]
>>> The mentioned package is not in ascii-backports. Normally, stuff gets
>>> into stable-backports only after it has been in testing for a
>>> sufficient amount of time, without major bug reports. Backports is not
>>> automatic. In this case, I guess the unstable package will be fixed
>>> before percolating down.
>>
>> Ascii-backports has linux-image-4.16.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 4.16.16-2~bpo9+1
>> which exhibits the exact same symptoms. I should know, as it hit me
>> hard just yesterday. As I wrote above, lots of fun to be had.
>
> Oh, then I am totally wrong, sorry :( I guess/hope it will be fixed
> soon then, in a way or another...

No need to apologize, really. And to be totally fair AIUI it's more
likely a bug in the proprietary nVidia driver than a genuine kernel
issue, or rather some kind of a mismatch between driver and kernel.

Takeway: Even on stable backports it's not in every case sufficient
to update kernel and OOT drivers in lockstep, a bit of luck is always
involved.

Maybe, if I find some time over the weekend, I'll redo the upgrade,
try the mentioned workaround and report my findings.

I wish I could simply ditch that nvidia blob, but nouveau just won't
cut it, at least not for the ways I use the GPU of that machine.
Ironically, I switched from AMD to nVidia not too long ago to steer
clear of driver issues on every second upgrade. Vanitas vanitatum,
et omnia vanitas.

HAND,
Urban
--