:: Re: [devuan-dev] pre-assessing linu…
Author: Irrwahn
To: devuan-dev
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] pre-assessing linux 4.16.0-2 in ceres
KatolaZ wrote on 05.07.2018 11:01:
> On Thu, Jul 05, 2018 at 10:49:10AM +0200, Irrwahn wrote:
>
> [cut]
>

>> Well said. However, it should be noted that in this specific case
>> users who pull their kernel from ascii-backports are also affected.
>> Lots of fun to be had staring at a black screen after a seemingly
>> innocuous kernel minor version update on a stable system.
>>
>> (Yes, I'm aware that packages from backports should be installed
>> applying almost the same level of alertness as is advisable for
>> unstable or testing. But still.)
>>

> The mentioned package is not in ascii-backports. Normally, stuff gets
> into stable-backports only after it has been in testing for a
> sufficient amount of time, without major bug reports. Backports is not
> automatic. In this case, I guess the unstable package will be fixed
> before percolating down.

Ascii-backports has linux-image-4.16.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 4.16.16-2~bpo9+1
which exhibits the exact same symptoms. I should know, as it hit me
hard just yesterday. As I wrote above, lots of fun to be had.

BTW, there appears to exist a temporary workaround by booting with
slab_common.usercopy_fallback=Y

I did not try this, but instead opted to just quickly rollback my
system to its previous state, as I was in a bit of a hurry.

> Debian has many problems, but few distros have a more robust mechanism
> for package flow... ;)

I would have made my previous message sound a lot harsher, weren't it
for the fact that I'm well aware of this.

My sqrt(2) cents. ;o)

Urban

--
Sapere aude!