:: [devuan-dev] mdadm (and other recov…
Author: Jaromil
To: devuan-dev
Subject: [devuan-dev] mdadm (and other recovery tools) and maybe more for tonight

dear devs

reading this post by the good folks at ungleich
https://blog.ungleich.ch/en-us/cms/blog/2018/05/27/data-center-light-partial-outage-20180525/

I realise that we do not include mdadm in some of the bootable options
of Devuan (not sure which one from the post)

"After preparing a bootable Devuan usb stick, we did not find mdadm
on it, which is required for starting the software raid. "

Some question come to me, somehow related to post-ASCII plans:

1. what is the easiest way to have an overview of packages included in
the different Devuan flavors we distribute? I guess pkginfo by
Katolaz is a very good start.

2. are there enough recovery tools in the devuan-live and minimal-live
isos? mdadm and perhaps others may be quite unobtrusive to include

3. more in general what is the best way to organise and expose to
debate and collective decisions the inclusion / exclusion of
packages from distribution?

these questions somehow go in the direction I would like Devuan to go
while moving towards Beowulf: making a careful and motivated selection
of core packages for Devuan.

perhaps a topic for discussion tonight? yet the absence of Katolaz
makes it difficult to take any decision

FWIW: this is just an orientation phase for me. I believe the making
of ASCII was de facto lead by Katolaz pretty much all the way and with
great results, so after a moment of rest I would like him to either
plan and keep up his lead in Beowulf or just share some visions and
lessons learned from ASCII, especially regarding package inclusion and
consequently efforts related to security updates.

ciao