:: Re: [DNG] [OT] Re: (forw) [GoLugTec…
Author: Jimmy Johnson
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] [OT] Re: (forw) [GoLugTech] Microsoft buys GitHub
On 06/05/2018 05:15 AM, Mark Rousell wrote:
> On 05/06/2018 12:18, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
>> Microsoft paying billions for github and github is operating millions
>> in the red, this is a I hate linux move. In 2002 microsoft wanted to
>> kill linux, 4 years ago microsoft wanted to kill linux and today
>> microsoft wants to kill linux period. A killer is not logical and you
>> should in no way trust a killer no matter how sweet they may seem,
>> just say NO!
>
> It seems to me that there is no logical or rational reason whatsoever to
> say that this is a "I hate linux move". Rationally speaking, it seems to
> me to be far more of a "I want to play well with open source" move. Why?
> Because it is now in Microsoft's financial interest to do so. This isn't
> because Microsoft is nice; it's simply that Microsoft is a business that
> is moving with the times.
>
> For several years now, GitHub has been strategically important to
> Microsoft for its own projects and for its interactions with developers.
> Developers are, and always have been, key to Microsoft's success and
> now, more than ever, that means open source developers. With GitHub in
> the red it makes total sense for Microsoft to buy GitHub in order to
> maintain it, to prevent it potentially falling into a competitor's
> hands, to further enhance Visual Studio's integration with Git and
> GitHub, and to improve Microsoft's image with the open source devs and
> users.
>
> Also, it is now illogical to think that Microsoft wants to kill Linux.
> Things have moved on. Linux (and Android) are now platforms for
> Microsoft to sell into and onto. Microsoft's dev products and software
> platforms (especially Net Core and Xamarin) have a vastly improving
> cross-platform and mobile story. Instead of trying to beat Linux with
> Windows or trying to beat open source with Microsoft software, the
> entire ecosystem has changed such that Linux and open source (primarily
> in the form of developers and corporates) are now a source of revenue
> for Microsoft.
>
> This is why I predicted that Microsoft will in due course buy a major
> corporate Linux company. It would fit perfectly with their new business
> model under Nadella.
>
> In short, Microsoft isn't a killer. It's a business. Under Nadella, it
> is doing what is rationally best for itself and, for the foreseeable
> future, that is to be friendly to open source and Linux.
>
> Maybe they'll change their minds again but it won't be soon. Enjoy it
> while it lasts. ;-)

Mark you seem like a smart likeable guy, just like the guys I have met
who work for microsoft and is the reason why I have not replied to your
post. What I'm saying is simple fact, what I've seen with my own eyes
and what you're saying is meaningless to me.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Devuan Jessie - TDE Trinity R14.0.4 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda2
Registered Linux User #380263