:: Re: [DNG] (forw) [GoLugTech] Micros…
Author: Mark Rousell
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] (forw) [GoLugTech] Microsoft buys GitHub
On 05/06/2018 07:19, Alessandro Selli wrote:
> On 04/06/2018 at 18:40, Mark Rousell wrote:
>> On 04/06/2018 17:02, salsa-dev@??? wrote:
>>> Personally I see this as a part of "embrace open source" strategy to kill
>>> open source.
>>>
>>> # Serge
>>>
>> I can't see that it would be in Microsoft's interest to kill open source.
> Really? Are you kidding?

The simple truth is that Microsoft is now making money out of open
source (and users of open source software). Thus killing or harming open
source no longer makes sense for Microsoft. Their revenue going forward
depends on playing nicely with open source.

Time will tell. I predict that they won't muck up GitHub. The fact is
that GitHub needed an investor or buyer and Microsoft has the cash to
prop it up. They could afford to support it even if it continues to make
a loss.

--
Mark Rousell