:: Re: [DNG] (forw) [GoLugTech] Micros…
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] (forw) [GoLugTech] Microsoft buys GitHub
On Sun, Jun 03, 2018 at 06:01:58PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> For years, I've been politely telling representatives & users of open source
> projects (Void Linux, many others) 'Hey, you might want to reconsider
> outsourcing your entire source code repos to GitHub, and consider
> instead deploying instead one of many actually open source, self-hosted
> workalikes such as GitLab.'
>
> I'm betting they'll see nothing wrong with outsourcing to a
> proprietary-software firm run by people they don't know and have no
> reason to trust, based on this news. I'm glad it works for them.

IMHO the main problem is not just outsourcing to a proprietary
software firm (which I think is already bad enough), rather
outsourcing to a proprietary software firm which has made a fortune
out of stealing software developed by others (the most notable
examples are MS-BASIC and MS-DOS, which made MicroSoft out of
NothingSoft), strangling competitors with endless lawsuits (does
anybody here remember Digital Research?) or acquiring them to let them
rotten to death (Nokia and Skype are probably the most notable recent
examples), etc.

GitHub was not a potential competitor to any software company hosting
their repos on github.com. MicroSoft definitely is.

The most probable outcome is that a new alternative will possibly
emerge. And no, gitlab is not the one, IMHO.

My2Cents

KatolaZ