:: [DNG] Should I, or should I not, ma…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] Should I, or should I not, make a Devuan VimOutliner package?
Hi all,

BACKSTORY...

I'm the *originator* of VimOutliner, an outline processor that uses the
Vim engine. VimOutliner's top priority was authoring speed. That
priority drove most VimOutliner keyboard commands to begin with a
double comma (,,), which is both extremely easy to hit from typing home
position, and very unlikely to happen within written text. I published
VimOutliner 0.13 June 1 2001.

Several other people used it, liked it, and improved it far beyond my
capabilities. Several Linux distros acquired VimOutliner packages.
Unfortunately, the Debian VimOutliner package manager insisted on using
double backslash (//) instead of double comma (,,) as the first two
characters of commands. The double backslash is slower, and more
important, it's a key that appears in different places on different
keyboards. Use of the double backslash represents a degradation of
VimOutliner's top priority: Authoring speed.

I'm thinking of making the Devuan VimOutliner package use double comma.
I'd take the Debian package and replace all appropriate double
backslashes with double commas.

Please understand, there is no SystemD dependency in the current Debian
VimOutliner package. It doesn't in any way violate any Devuan policy.
It simply uses the wrong string for the purposes of outlining.

As mentioned, I'm the originator of VimOutliner, and as such I set the
priorities, and the top priority has consistently been authoring speed.
I can either modify the "standard" VimOutliner for my own use, or I can
make a new, double comma equipped package for Devuan. Anyone have an
opinion on this?

SteveT

Steve Litt
December 2017 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive