:: Re: [DNG] Request file system revie…
Página Inicial
Autor: KatolaZ
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] Request file system reviews and recomendations.
On Thu, Dec 28, 2017 at 01:42:56AM +1100, Andrew McGlashan wrote:

[cut]

> You can legally, if I understand correctly, build ZFS in to a Linux
> Kernel yourself, but you cannot (due to license restriction), do so and
> provide it for others to use "as is", everyone whom want to use it in a
> Linux Kernel must compile it themselves. That makes a mockery of
> Canonical's opinion, but perhaps they paid monies to Oracle to free it
> up for them somehow....

It's true that you cannot distribute a Linux kernel with builtin ZFS
support, since the ZFS' license is incompatible with the GPL, but
thanks to dkms you don't need to recompile the Linux kernel to have
ZFS support built as a module (and included in your initramfs, if you
like).

IMHO Canonical is playing with fire with their (obviously wrong)
interpretation of the querelle, since Oracle has never ever been a
fair player...

My2Cents

KatolaZ