:: Re: [DNG] Request file system revie…
Página Inicial
Autor: Andrew McGlashan
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] Request file system reviews and recomendations.
Hi,

On 27/12/17 16:50, Josef Grosch wrote:
> A good place to start is ZFS On Linux (http://zfsonlinux.org/) This project is being run by the bright boys and girls at Lawrence Livermore National Lab, our tax dollars at work. Yes, it is covered by a GPLv2-incompatible licence[1] (CDDL), but I consider the advantages of ZFS enough to ignore the license issue. I mostly run Debian and ZFS works like a charm.

ZFS on Linux is different to ZFS in the Linux Kernel..... each has it's
own license. ZFS on Linux uses Fuse and is quite happily GPL. I hate
the fact that Oracle bought Sun Microsystems and I wish they would
re-license any and all Sun code that should be fairly provided for the
community (especially anything to do with ZFS, especially since they
cared more about BTRFS anyway...). Sun created ZFS, Oracle created
BTRFS, they are competing, ZFS should be the winner, but the CDDL
situation is a pain.

You can legally, if I understand correctly, build ZFS in to a Linux
Kernel yourself, but you cannot (due to license restriction), do so and
provide it for others to use "as is", everyone whom want to use it in a
Linux Kernel must compile it themselves. That makes a mockery of
Canonical's opinion, but perhaps they paid monies to Oracle to free it
up for them somehow....

Oh and I definitely think Oracle should give up on it's fight with
Google over Java -- Sun always meant it to be possible for anybody to
use unencumbered and they surely encouraged it; so it is my opinion that
Oracle should let it be (not that I am defending Google, but I
absolutely believe that Google is right here), however, I am not a
lawyer so take my opinion for what it is.

I would much prefer to have ext4 support checksumming too, but I can't
see that ever happening; if it does, it will be new works based on BTRFS
most likely and it'll be ext5 or something else.

My preference, if it was never a licensing issue, would be to use ZFS
with ECC RAM built-in to the Linux Kernel, but I am not rolling my own
kernel these days and am sticking with "stock" ones that come with my
distro.

Kind Regards
AndrewM