:: Re: [DNG] ..forensics on systemd or…
Author: John Hughes
To: Aldemir Akpinar
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [DNG] ..forensics on systemd or journald logs, was: rc.local removed from Debian 9, rly?
On 22/11/17 15:08, Aldemir Akpinar wrote:

> On 22 November 2017 at 17:03, John Hughes <john@???
> <mailto:john@atlantech.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 22/11/17 14:18, Aldemir Akpinar wrote:

>>     Could you elaborate why are you comparing a relational database
>>     system where its files must be binary with a logging system where
>>     its files doesn't need to binary?

>     Need?  Nothing "needs" to be in binary[*].  It's a design
>     decision.  Do the advantages of a structured format (mostly speed)
>     override the disadvantages (higher costs for access if the reader
>     software is unavailable?

> That's still not the answer to my question!

There is no simple answer to your question because your question
contains the logical fallacy of "begging the question", i.e. the
question assumes its own answer.

You said "why are you comparing a relational database system where its
files must be binary with a logging system where its files doesn't need
to binary?"

That assumes that the files of a relational database system *must* be
binary, which is simply untrue and that there is no advantage to making
the files of a logging system binary which is debatable.

The answer to your question is that there is no one single answer.  The
system designer will make his decisions about the different tradeoffs.