:: Re: [DNG] ..forensics on systemd or…
Author: Dave Turner
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] ..forensics on systemd or journald logs, was: rc.local removed from Debian 9, rly?
On 22/11/17 14:22, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:
> Aldemir Akpinar writes:
>> Could you elaborate why are you comparing a relational database
>> system where its files must be binary with a logging system where its
>> files doesn't need to binary?
>
> You make it sound is if binary files were some sort of horror that
> requires special justification. Please argue the point. Does a text
> format justify x% performance loss? y% increase in line count or code
> complexity? Pick x/y.
>
> Arnt

My understanding of why text files are better for important system logs
is this:-

When your server goes down big-style and you get all sorts of file
corruption you stand a very good chance of working out what happened
even if your text format log file is a bit mangled.

If your binary format log file is mangled life is considerably more
difficult - ask those that look after Microsoft Servers. I did, 'that's
as bad as Windows!' he said.

DaveT