:: Re: [DNG] WARNING: lvm2 > 2.02.173-…
Author: Adam Borowski
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] WARNING: lvm2 > 2.02.173-1 breaks some systems and make them unbootable
On Tue, Nov 07, 2017 at 09:33:30PM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> John Hughes' sole function on DNG is to say, in many different ways,
> "systemd isn't so bad." Given that systemd being bad is the
> foundational belief that created the Devuan project thus the DNG list,
> he knows he's just making trouble. He's a troll. Don't feed the troll.

Systemd is bad, but dropping the pretense that following the needs of _one_
particular stone-age PDP install is sound design is not bad.

Of course, as always our dear Lennart does it wrong (it'd be much better to
follow Hurd instead and use /bin /sbin /lib), but it doesn't make split /usr
without an initrd any better.

Today, any system where you can realistically install a general-purpose
distribution has multiple GB of disk space. There's no gain to put / and
/usr on separate filesystem, all that you need is /boot (or an EFI
partition). In the last case I'm aware of where someone tried a stock
system with a split, Maemo, the /usr split was deemed inadequate and they
instead decided to move most stuff to /opt while stuffing the usual places
with symlinks -- adapting packages enough to have / capable of booting would
require too much work.

There's too many obscure use cases, and too much complexity to bother using
the old way. There are two cases:
* a regular simple system. No fanciness like split /usr, encrypted LVM on
RAID6+0+1 over iSCSI over wifi. No initrd needed.
* complex. Just plop anything you need into the initrd.

I don't get why you'd want to keep moving things around on the real system
if you can isolate it into initrd.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀ Laws we want back: Poland, Dz.U. 1921 nr.30 poz.177 (also Dz.U.
⣾⠁⢰⠒⠀⣿⡁ 1920 nr.11 poz.61): Art.2: An official, guilty of accepting a gift