:: Re: [DNG] WARNING: lvm2 > 2.02.173-…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] WARNING: lvm2 > 2.02.173-1 breaks some systems and make them unbootable
On Tue, 7 Nov 2017 21:30:02 +0100
marc <marcxdv@???> wrote:

> Hello

Hi Marc,

Quote from John Hughes
> > I come from a Unix background -- separate /usr was deprecated in
> > the 1990's with SVR4.2, I'm kind of amazed it took Linux so long to
> > catch up.

> Clearly I must have been working in a parallel universe - the
> commercial unix systems that I remember from the 90s did have
> /usr and / (some also had /opt and /usr/local in various forms)

And what I can add as that when I was a Linux newbie around the turn of
the century, my much more experienced LUGmates were recommending a
separate /usr, separate /boot, and in fact a tiny, tiny / with all
major directories mounted.

> But regardless of this, what you are doing here is called an
> "appeal to authority" and so of limited relevance.

Pre-cisely. The "Appeal to
Authority" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority) is
one of several informal logical falicies. Hughes claims expertise from
his "Unix background", but we have no proof. He's saying "follow my
lead, I'm knowledgeable."

But wait, there's more:

In another recent post, Hughes said, in relation to the inability to
run a mounted /usr without initramfs':

> What does this have to do with systemd?

In the preceding, Hughes feigns ignorance, as if he doesn't know that
systemd's tenticles go right into initramfs, to the extent systemd
SHUTDOWN references initramfs. He pretends non-knowledge of the fact
that the same guys tying Gnome and systemd together, FreeDesktop.Org,
have been the driving force behind the great /bin, /sbin/, /usr/sbin
and /usr/bin merge, and he pretends his thorough 1980's Unix knowledge
doesn't include the fact that you need a separate /sbin with at least a
static mount and a few other commands in order to mount /usr as part of
the boot process.

John Hughes' sole function on DNG is to say, in many different ways,
"systemd isn't so bad." Given that systemd being bad is the
foundational belief that created the Devuan project thus the DNG list,
he knows he's just making trouble. He's a troll. Don't feed the troll.

I /dev/nulled Hughes years ago, yet still see his words of wisdom. (Note
to Rick: Your method gets more appealing by the day, but still has
downsides.)

Let me ask you a couple questions:

1) If a tree falls in the woods but there's nobody to hear it, did it
make a sound?

2) If a troll trolls but everybody's /dev/nulled him, is there really a
troll?

There have forever been "systemd's not so bad" trolls on DNG, and my
recommendation remains the same: When you encounter one, killile and
move on.

SteveT

Steve Litt
October 2017 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21