:: Re: [DNG] Advice?
Author: R. W. Rodolico
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Advice?
Thank you.

I performed the update yesterday and, with only a few minor changes, was
able to get the client's server back. This was, without a doubt, the
easiest dist-upgrade I have done in around 20 years of running Debian
systems.

Ran into a few minor issues, which I'll record here in case anyone has
do do something similar.

First, qemu-system-x86 is not installed as a dependency on
xen-linux-system. Seems reasonable, since some people want a paravirt
only setup and this appears to only affect hvm's (if I understand qemu's
part in all this).

Second, my configs were very old; I think I've used the same configs
since lenny, or maybe earlier? So, I had to actually break down and RTFM
and clean all the old cruft out of my config's. It appears 4.4 is a
little more strict.

Following is the procedure I used, based on
See
https://git.devuan.org/dev1fanboy/Upgrade-Install-Devuan/wikis/Upgrade-to-Devuan

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

Change /etc/apt/source.list
deb http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged jessie main
deb http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged jessie-updates main
deb http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged jessie-security main

apt-get update && apt-get install devuan-keyring -y --allow-unauthenticated
apt-get update -y
apt-get dist-upgrade
reboot
apt-get install qemu-system-x86

Now, clean up the configs for each domu, and it all works well.

I'll write this up and put it someplace for anyone else who ends up
doing this.

Again, thank you very much. I did not build the domu as you recommended
since I already had a broken system that I would need to rebuild from
scratch if this didn't work, and I already had backups of everything

Rod

--
Rod Rodolico
Daily Data, Inc.
POB 140465
Dallas TX 75214-0465
214.827.2170
http://www.dailydata.net
begin:vcard
fn:Rod Rodolico
n:Rodolico;Rod
org:Daily Data, Inc.
adr:;;POB 140465;Dallas;TX;75214-0465;US
email;internet:rodo@???
title:President
tel;work:214.827.2170
url:http://dailydata.net