:: Re: [DNG] WARNING: lvm2 > 2.02.173-…
Author: John Hughes
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] WARNING: lvm2 > 2.02.173-1 breaks some systems and make them unbootable
On 07/11/17 16:50, Klaus Ethgen wrote:

>>> If you have an seperate /usr (what is not supported by the ignorance of
>>> systemd) and that /usr on lvm and a kernel with no initrd (what does not
>>> exist in the ignorance of systemd), then you are doomed and your system
>>> will not boot anymore.
>> What does this have to do with systemd?
> Well, Debian deprecated a separate /usr as systemd is not working good
> with a separate /usr.

They actually deprecated it as many things were not working with a
separate /usr.  systemd has no more or less problems than anything else
that uses things on /usr.

I come from a Unix background -- separate /usr was deprecated in the
1990's with SVR4.2, I'm kind of amazed it took Linux so long to catch up.

In this particular case it's a bit irritating, it could be fixed by
moving liblz4 to /lib or by not linking the various lvm2 binaries
against libsystemd.

Presumably devuan and debian will have differing ideas of how and
whether this should be fixed.  :-)