:: Re: [DNG] WARNING: lvm2 > 2.02.173-…
Author: Klaus Ethgen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] WARNING: lvm2 > 2.02.173-1 breaks some systems and make them unbootable
Am Di den 7. Nov 2017 um 16:21 schrieb John Hughes:
> On 07/11/17 15:29, Klaus Ethgen wrote:
>
> > today I suffered by a heavy bug in lvm2. With version 2.02.175-1 it
> > starts to depend on library in /usr.
>
> Which binary? What library in /usr?

/sbin/lvm
Lib /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/liblz4.so.1

> > If you have an seperate /usr (what is not supported by the ignorance of
> > systemd) and that /usr on lvm and a kernel with no initrd (what does not
> > exist in the ignorance of systemd), then you are doomed and your system
> > will not boot anymore.
>
> What does this have to do with systemd?

Well, Debian deprecated a separate /usr as systemd is not working good
with a separate /usr.

> If your system uses sysvinit instead of systemd does it manage to mount /usr
> if /usr is on lvm?  How?

Well, lvm as all important binaries never depend on any in /usr. So why
shouldn't that work? It was a common setup until systemd found the way
into debian.

Regards
   Klaus
- --
Klaus Ethgen                                       http://www.ethgen.ch/
pub  4096R/4E20AF1C 2011-05-16            Klaus Ethgen <Klaus@???>
Fingerprint: 85D4 CA42 952C 949B 1753  62B3 79D0 B06F 4E20 AF1C