:: Re: [devuan-dev] Schedule downtime …
Author: KatolaZ
To: devuan-dev
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] Schedule downtime for galaxy and gitlab
On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 11:07:36PM -0500, golinux@??? wrote:
> >Though we should share the login credentials for managing it.
>
> Yes. Chanku please work this out with Ralph.
>
> As to godaddy . . . I can only change nameservers from another host. I
> can't alter the MX or anything like that without being hosted at godaddy.
> Chanku, I share your sentiment about godaddy but the hassle of moving all my
> domains has been a showstopper.
>
> I wish that dyne/devuan would take over the d1g domain - it's up for renewal
> in a few weeks. Jaromil and I talked about it but like so many things was
> never completed.

OK, but how is this related to a 40 minutes maintainance downtime?
Please let's keep it simple, and leave sentiment aside (infrastructure
admin and development is not done with your guts). dev1galaxy is
currently hosted by an instance on nemesis, and dev1galaxy.org
resolves to an IP on that server. We need that instance to support
drbd, so that it can be migrated easily to another node, and this
entails a downtime of about 40-50 minutes.

With your permission I would schedule the maintainance for later this
week, during the night in Europe. We can discuss DNS things at a later
time, since those do not look as an incumbent priority at the
moment. The important thing, at the moment, is that dev1galaxy.org
points to the correct IP, and it does. After we complete the
maintainance, we will need to let it point to another IP. We will
liaise with Chanku to take care of that when it will be needed. Again,
it's not a vital service, so if users fail to resolve it for 10 or 30
minutes we can definitely live with that, IMHO.

Please let me know.

My2Cents

KatolaZ