:: Re: [DNG] systemd-udevd: renamed ne…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] systemd-udevd: renamed network interface eth0 to eth1
On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 22:31:28 +0200
"Dr. Nikolaus Klepp" <dr.klepp@???> wrote:

> > Does Devuan have a key? If not, I guess that's all we need to know
> > about what distro Tobias Hunger REALLY uses. I'm guessing he doesn't
> > have the brainpower to actually implement the distro-independent
> > shim, which sounds like an utter nightmare.
>
> LOL .. just a story picked from my desk ... last week ordered 2
> devices for testing, Getac T800: Customer: You are sure it boots
> Devuan and Freebsd? Vendor: Sure, half our customes use Linux!
> Today - devices arrived.
> Customer: This does only boot windows, dear vendor!
> Vendor: You cannot disable UEFI, but half our customes use Linux!
> Guess how this story will continue tomorrow ... praise the good deeds
> of the lords of UEFI as they sit in the heaven of marketing ...
>
> Nik

I guess the next question is can you disable Secure Boot. If so,
installing Linux shouldn't be particularly difficult.

If you can't disable secure boot, you KNOW how it ends. Half his
customers use Ubuntu, Debian, Redhat or OpenSuSE. They have no choice:
Independent distros can't get past the monopoly creating Secure Boot.

Disableable Secure Boot is a good feature for many people.
Undisableable Secure Boot is pure sabotage and monopolism.

SteveT

Steve Litt
October 2017 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21