:: Re: [DNG] Devuan, Firefox and Apuls…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Adam Borowski
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Devuan, Firefox and Apulse
On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 11:47:05AM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Adam Borowski (kilobyte@???):
>
> > > I guess I am switching to Chrome. Another sad day for FOSS.
> >
> > You don't want that pile of spyware, it lacks any basic privacy extensions
> > Firefox has.
>
> At _least_ try Chromium before adopting a proprietary browser (Chrome).
> I don't know why so many Linux users think _only_ of the proprietary
> Google Chrome Web browser and not the open source Chromium browser of
> which Google Chrome is an odd and untrustworthy variant? It's
> dispiriting.

Most people seem to be using these two names interchangeably, even though,
as you rightfully point, they do differ. I did not go into a tangent of
correcting this as it was not relevant to bashing PulseAudio.

Obviously, I'm not going to install such a massive backdoor on any
non-contained machine. Heck, even on that test Windows partition I have but
boot once in half a year it's something-Iron rather than unmodified Chrome.

But, chromium as in Debian/Devuan is not good either:
https://bugs.debian.org/792580 claims it phones home even in "incognito"
mode -- and not just to update extensions or some such, but to freaking
Google Analytics.

> The Chromium extensions programming interface is impoverished compared
> to XUL / XPCOM, but uMatrix and uBlock Origin are decent.

These don't seem anywhere as functional as Adblock (real, not WebExtension)
or Request Policy.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀ I've read an article about how lively happy music boosts
⣾⠁⢰⠒⠀⣿⡁ productivity. You can read it, too, you just need the