:: Re: [DNG] Another problem with syst…
Author: zap
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Another problem with systemd and I will switch to devuan
On 09/17/2017 04:05 PM, Steve Litt wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 05:27:19 +0100
> KatolaZ <katolaz@???> wrote:

>>> Isn't Devuan testing a rolling release?
>>>
>> No, it's not, and luckily so.
>>
>> There are already sans-systemd distro using a rolling-release scheme,
>> and I can't see a single reason why Devuan should even consider going
>> in that direction.
> I agree 100%.

I have revised my thoughts slightly, maybe everything but stable
whenever I decide to...

>> If they are not enough, then anybody is free to
>> start working on a new one.
>>
>> One of the characteristic strengths of Devuan is the fact that you
>> know a stable branch won't fail you,
> I agree wholeheartedly.

Yep I am not denying that.

>> and that a testing branch will be
>> much more stable than most of the "stable" distros out there. You
>> simply can't guarantee this level of stability with a rolling
>> release.
> This is true, as I've found in Void Linux, which is the most reliable
> rolling release I've ever tried. Don't get me started on Arch and
> Manjaro.

Arch is the worst sadly...
I bet it would work better with a debian based stability though...
merely because installing arch is where I seem to find my problems...

>> In many typical Devuan use cases (mission-critical services,
>> for instance), you absolutely don't want the latest "upgrade" of a
>> package, because you can't afford any random upgrade to break your
>> system, even temporarily.
> Yes. Why is that so hard to understand?
>
> There are some cases when it's easiest and perhaps best to trust that
> the latest update will always work. But in other situations, you
> prioritize stability, and that's the space Devuan fills.

I haven't replied for a while. but yeah your probably right.  Devuan is
better as is. I would definitely though that being said, hope to make a
not pure rolling release, but one with a stability in the middle of
stable and testing, and then one for unstable and experimental...
But I will most likely stop replying for a while since this thread seems
to get clogged.