:: Re: [DNG] Another problem with syst…
Author: Nate Bargmann
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Another problem with systemd and I will switch to devuan
* On 2017 17 Sep 15:57 -0500, Steve Litt wrote:

> <RANT>Dennis Thompson and the boys really, really, REALLY should have
> specified that every home directory have a subdirectory called etc, and
> every and all config that gets done in the home directory get done in
> the /home/slitt/etc tree. This would have saved a lot of work and
> prevented a lot of ghosts of operating systems past, but nooooooo. Wait
> right there while I take my time machine back to 1969 and convince
> Dennis to do this.</RANT>

As I see it, most of the problem has to do with poorly written software
that doesn't gracefully handle old configurations and little to do with
how those configurations are stored in $HOME. I'll give Thompson a pass
as the problem occurred much later.

On the plus side, dealing with dot files and dot directories is much
easier than with an opaque registry.

I almost always have /home on a separate partition as it makes it easier
to do many of the steps you described.

- Nate