:: Re: [DNG] I had an idea, for a devu…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
New-Topics: [DNG] rolling release?
Subject: Re: [DNG] I had an idea, for a devuan fork, and other stuff
On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 11:04:40 -0400
zap <calmstorm@???> wrote:

> On 09/14/2017 11:11 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
> > On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 21:33:06 -0500
> > golinux@??? wrote:

> >> That would count me (and many others) out right there.
> > Yes. If you want sans-systemd that's rolling release, you have no
> > shortage: Void, Funtoo, Gentoo. Devuan is the only committed
> > sans-systemd that is version-release. Why would anyone want to
> > change that?
> >
> > If you like rolling release, why not switch to Void or Funtoo?
> >
> > SteveT
>
> I like the way debian based os's are easier to encrypt that's all
> besides, void and funtoo I cannot use this special repository to add,
> linux-libre to.

Just a guess: A rolling-release Devuan wouldn't be especially popular.

[snip]

> As for funtoo, isn't gentoo source based?

Yes, both Gentoo and Funtoo are source based. The reason I recommend
Funtoo is because Daniel Robbins said that Funtoo would never use
systemd, whereas Gentoo keeps drifting closer to systemd parity, and
we've all seen what happens when that camel gets his nose in the tent.

> I have heard it is harder
> than arch to use.

Debatable, but I'd agree. Arch is hyper-partisan in their support for
systemd and rejection of all else. Yes, there are a few guys out there
offering sans-systemd Arch installs, but with the distro so patriotic
to systemd, those sans-systemd installs fight an uphill battle to keep
everything running. Just ask the Devuan guys: It's tough ripping out
all those ingrown roots.

SteveT

Steve Litt
September 2017 featured book: Manager's Guide to Technical
Troubleshooting Brand new, second edition
http://www.troubleshooters.com/mgr