:: Re: [devuan-dev] Devuan Meet Sept. …
Author: golinux
To: devuan developers internal list
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] Devuan Meet Sept. 13/14 2017
On 2017-09-13 20:05, Alexey Zilber wrote:
> On Sep 14, 2017 8:38 AM, <golinux@???> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 12:55 AM, <golinux@???> wrote:
>>
>> On 2017-09-13 11:16, Alexey Zilber wrote:
>>
>> We should have a Discord server instead of just IRC imho. It also
>> does voice and video for anyone so inclined.
>>
>> I'll try to contribute once some time frees up. I would hate for
>> the project to get stale. Devuan has been a pleasure to use.
>>
>> -Alex
>>
>> This appears to be what you're talking about:
>>
>> "Discord is a proprietary freeware VoIP application designed for
>> gaming communities. Discord runs on Windows, macOS, Android, iOS,
>> Linux, and in a web browser."
>>
>> Proprietary? Hmmmm. No thanks. What's wrong with jitsi exactly?
>>
>> golinux
>
> On 2017-09-13 18:44, Alexey Zilber wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure what the issue is with Discord being proprietary.
>
> And that is the problem. You'll not have much luck peddling
> proprietary apps to this crew.
>
> I'm not peddling anything, just recommending we use tools that are
> already in wide use. If maximum participation is the main goal here.
> Is it not?

Quality is always preferred over quantity.

>> These are main chat apps being used by dev teams.
>>
>> -Alex
>
> So what? If we followed what most devs do, we'd be using systemd.
>
> systemd is open source.

I never said that it wasn't.

> I think most will agree that it's the
> usability of the tool that matters.

Then you don't know us very well. Have you not seen this on the Devuan
website?
https://devuan.org/os/free-software or https://www.dyne.org/ ?

> I don't see anywhere in the
> description of Devuan that it holds tightly to Richard Stallman's
> ideals. Why even have the non-free repo if that's the case?

Because for some hardware there is no alternative. We leave the choice
to the users.

> Anyway, I think this is sidetracking the main issue of participation.

Agreed.

> If you're not against using Twitter (which I see Devuan has) then
> using Discord or Slack shouldn't be an issue.

That is an outward facing communication tool, not for internal use.
While I personally avoid social media, is it useful to reach those who
do.

> I'm sure someone has
> already written a Jitsy [sic] to Discord or Slack bridge anyway 😉.

That reminds me of vegetarians who gobble up meat substitutes not
realizing that they are still carnivores at heart.