:: Re: [devuan-dev] Devuan Meet Sept. …
Author: Alexey Zilber
To: devuan developers internal list
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] Devuan Meet Sept. 13/14 2017

On 2017-09-13 18:44, Alexey Zilber wrote:

> I'm not sure what the issue is with Discord being proprietary.

And that is the problem. You'll not have much luck peddling proprietary
apps to this crew.

I'm not peddling anything, just recommending we use tools that are already
in wide use. If maximum participation is the main goal here. Is it not?

> These are main chat apps being used by dev teams.
>
> -Alex

So what? If we followed what most devs do, we'd be using systemd.

systemd is open source. I think most will agree that it's the usability of
the tool that matters. I don't see anywhere in the description of Devuan
that it holds tightly to Richard Stallman's ideals. Why even have the
non-free repo if that's the case?

Anyway, I think this is sidetracking the main issue of participation. If
you're not against using Twitter (which I see Devuan has) then using
Discord or Slack shouldn't be an issue. I'm sure someone has already
written a Jitsy to Discord or Slack bridge anyway 😉.

golinux