:: Re: [DNG] TALOS 2 - The Libre Owner…
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Alessandro Selli
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: dng
Aihe: Re: [DNG] TALOS 2 - The Libre Owner Controlled POWER9 Workstation/Server
On 31/08/2017 at 16:40, Taiidan@??? wrote:
> On 08/31/2017 04:14 AM, Alessandro Selli wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 30 Aug 2017 at 18:25:07 -0400
>> "Taiidan@???" <Taiidan@???> wrote:
>>
>>> Thought I would share this!
>>>
>>> After what happened with TALOS 1 I can't believe they actually pulled it
>>> off this time.
>>>
>>> This is truly a historic moment for computing freedom lovers - an owner
>>> controlled open source ultra high performance workstation/server for
>>> only a few thousand dollars.
>>>
>>> https://secure.raptorcs.com/
>>>
>>> Note: For the non sysadmin crowd this is what dual socket performance
>>> server/workstation hardware costs - it is designed for the power user
>>> market - there are already many crappy owner controlled SOC's going for
>>> a few hundred, now the performance segment has a device too.
>>    Good news indeed!  The second one this week, after this worthy attempt by
>> puri.sm to finally produce a smartphone designed to be 100% evil-software
>> free
>> and GNU/Linux compatible (scheduled for release in 2019, though):

>> https://puri.sm/shop/librem-5/
>>
> I doubt it will be owner controlled, as their laptops aren't - they still
> haven't even gotten a blobbed version of coreboot working (blobbed init code
> + ME enabled as they insisted on a crappy intel soc)

They know, they acknowledge this, and are working to that goal The
present situation is that ME is mostly disabled:

https://puri.sm/learn/intel-me/

"A neutralized ME"

"While finishing our first coreboot port, we have successfully neutralized
the Intel ME thanks to the great work of the “me_cleaner” project, removing
its kernel, network stack, and about 92% of the Intel ME binary. There
remains a little over 7% before complete removal."

> Purism isn't a trustworthy company.

No company that does not produce all the hardware and software it sells can
be. Puri.sm is trustworthy in all *they* do, it's Intel and AMD that are not.

Alessandro