:: Re: [DNG] TALOS 2 - The Libre Owner…
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: dng
Aihe: Re: [DNG] TALOS 2 - The Libre Owner Controlled POWER9 Workstation/Server
On 31.08.2017 16:40, Taiidan@??? wrote:

> I doubt it will be owner controlled, as their laptops aren't - they
> still haven't even gotten a blobbed version of coreboot working (blobbed
> init code + ME enabled as they insisted on a crappy intel soc)
> Purism isn't a trustworthy company.

Don't know anything about that company, but in general x86 boards
are much harder to bring up than ARMs. I only know very few completely
custom x86 boards with open firmware - in ARM world that's daily
business.

The actually hard part w/ phones is creating a very small and power
efficient board, that's a much bigger challenge than the usual
embedded boards.

There're several parties out there creating an open phone hw, lets
see how that plays out.

IMHO, we should now concentrate on the OS, maybe port the android
runtime to GNU platform. That should give us an GUI and applet
framework. Or we start afresh with a plan9-inspired approach.

--mtx