:: Re: [DNG] Which desktops are availa…
Author: Erik Christiansen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Which desktops are available in Devuan?
Multiple replies here, to minimise list traffic:

On 15.08.17 13:18, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Aug 2017 16:45:05 +1000
> Sporting a similar user interace, but with increased stability,
> parsamonious use of resources, and absolutely no allegience to systemd
> is LXDE. For the past 4 years the LXDE guys have been bragging that
> LXDE is deprecated and you should move to LXQt, which isn't half bad
> either. I keep on with LXDE because it's better (in my subjective
> opinion).

That's good news. If LXQt were merely LXDE with a different grahics
base, that'd be great. We'll see what the Razor-qt has brought with it.

On 15.08.17 10:22, Fungi4All wrote:
> Welcome Erik,
> The first thing I did in Devuan was to install lightdm and LXDE and
> remove xfce.  LXqt is nowhere like lxde and nowhere close as efficient
> in resources as LXDE.  About the only thing being limited in LXDE
> as it hasn't been Devuanized is the logout screen.  You can't shutdown/reboot/suspend.
> You can always do so fine at the command line $sudo reboot    ....etc.
> In most cases I use openbox though with some lxde tools.

Well, I hark back to the days when we only had "shutdown -h now", so
that's manageable. (Heck, at first we had to shut down the cpu, then
press a shutdown button on the hard-drive (5 MB) in the adjacent 19"
system rack, wait 2 minutes for it to wind down, then power that off.
Them wuz the days. ;)

On 15.08.17 23:07, aitor wrote:
> You can test the following image announced in the IRC channel (it hasn't any
> desktop environment), but you'll be able to get network connection using the
> backend of simple-netaid. Just run:
>
> /usr/lib/simple-netaid/bin/backend --help
>
> Cheers,
>
> Aitor.

Thanks aitor, but the little Udoo X86 is used for video streaming ...
though that could probably be wangled on the command line - after a bit
of trial and a lot of error.

Thanks for all the help. I'll take this one step at the time.

Erik