:: Re: [DNG] OT: most processors are i…
Author: Alessandro Selli
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] OT: most processors are insecure (was Re: Nvidia Drivers)
On 15/08/2017 at 05:13, Taiidan@??? wrote:
> FYI Many big companies get intel to include classified instruction
> sets to give them some kind of competitive edge.
>
> I can't find the link but it was in a bloomberg article about xeon CPU's.

Maybe it's this piece:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-06-09/how-intel-makes-a-chip

Another way to make a chip faster is to add special circuits that only
do one thing, but do it extremely quickly. Roughly 25 percent of the
E5’s circuits are specialized for, among other tasks, compressing video
and encrypting data. There are other special circuits on the E5, but
Intel can’t talk about those because they’re created for its largest
customers, the so-called Super 7: Google
<http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-04-06/google-taps-ibm-rackspace-to-dent-intel-s-hold-on-server-chips>,
Amazon, Facebook, Microsoft, Baidu, Alibaba, and Tencent. Those
companies buy—and often assemble for themselves—Xeon-powered servers by
the hundreds of thousands. If you buy an off-the-shelf Xeon server from
Dell or HP, the Xeon inside will contain technology that’s off-limits to
you. “We’ll integrate [a cloud customer’s] unique feature into the
product, as long as it doesn’t make the die so much bigger that it
becomes a cost burden for everyone else,” says Bryant. “When we ship it
to Customer A, he’ll see it. Customer B has no idea that feature is there.”

--
Alessandro Selli <alessandroselli@???>
Tel. 3701355486