:: Re: [DNG] [Desktop-Environment] Cin…
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] [Desktop-Environment] Cinnamon and MATE
On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 11:29:36PM +0100, Vincent Bentley wrote:
> Intel are not the only x86 cpu manufacturer.
>
> I use a lot of VIA Eden equipped devices (thin-clients) 32-bit, 1+ GHz,
> 1GB RAM usually. They run fine on 12v batteries charged by solar, have
> no problems being mounted in vehicles (land or marine) and are fully
> featured with IDE/SATA and network boot ROMs unlike most ARM devices.

Just to make another example, there are also a whole bunch of 32 bit
Atom netbooks, which were sold up until 2010-2011. I personally used
one of those as a primary machine for 2/3 years, and I still keep it
around as a perfect "vacation" machine.

And there are at least several hundred thousands (maybe more?) OLPC
XO and clones out there, shipped to schools and children in developing
countries (they had a declared max power consumption of 15W, BTW). I
totally agree that we should probably replace all of them with newer
and more powerful arm64 laptops, but I don't know whether a similar
project is already in place.

And there are a whole bunch of SBC things which still use x86
processors.

All those machines can run for several more years with a light DE.

HND

KatolaZ