:: Re: [DNG] [Desktop-Environment] Cin…
Author: Adam Borowski
To: dng
New-Topics: [DNG] bloat
Subject: Re: [DNG] [Desktop-Environment] Cinnamon and MATE
On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 11:29:36PM +0100, Vincent Bentley wrote:
> Intel are not the only x86 cpu manufacturer.
>
> I use a lot of VIA Eden equipped devices (thin-clients) 32-bit, 1+ GHz,
> 1GB RAM usually. They run fine on 12v batteries charged by solar, have
> no problems being mounted in vehicles (land or marine) and are fully
> featured with IDE/SATA and network boot ROMs unlike most ARM devices.

If I read the specs correctly, all VIA Eden CPUs released 2006 or later are
64-bit capable. As far as I know, some motherboard chipsets that were
32-bit only lingered longer, but I'm not aware of any
not-thoroughly-embedded x86 machines that have this flaw anywhere near
recently.

And, as this thread goes, you're not going to run a bloated DE on such an
underpowered machine, are you? Especially that (at least in Jessie, no idea
about more recent versions) parts of GNOME that Cinnamon uses require either
a graphics card with some fancy specific capabilities, or very slow
emulation in software. A weak machine + slow software emulation of 3D =
oy vey gevalt.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ A dumb species has no way to open a tuna can.