:: Re: [DNG] [Desktop-Environment] Cin…
Author: Clark Sideroad
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] [Desktop-Environment] Cinnamon and MATE
On 22/07/17 05:26 PM, Adam Borowski wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 06:50:19AM +0100, KatolaZ wrote:
>> you might probably want to have a look at:
>>
>>    http://popcon.devuan.org/

>> Whatever the statistical significance of those data, it seems that
>> between 15% and 20% of Devuan installations are on i386. So apparently
>> there is no reason at all to drop it, rather the opposite.
> Then this looks like a problem that needs to be looked at. There's no way
> that many people use gear from ≤ 2004 (or a brief throwback of early Atoms
> from 2008).

In a small segment of geekdom, where a mobile phone or a tablet don't
cut it, I believe there are quite a few Atom 32bit netbooks still in use.

Intel fused off 64 bit Atoms making them 32 bit for the poor little
suckers, the time frame on these extended through 2010. They were also
limited to a maximum of 2 GB RAM.

I personally use one for troubleshooting network installations and
tuning my motorbike and while such hardware is no place for a bloated
desktop environment, I would hate to find it completely orphaned by Devuan.

Clarke