:: Re: [devuan-dev] new server node
Author: Daniel Reurich
To: devuan-dev
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] new server node
On 14/07/17 03:51, Daniel Reurich wrote:
> On 13/07/17 23:57, Jaromil wrote:
>> On Thu, 13 Jul 2017, Ivan J. wrote:
>>
>>> Quoting a fellow Tor exit operator and friend (about hetzner):

>> ACK. as a former Tor exit operator, I do trust your friend's judgement
>> more than their marketing.
>>

>>> Jaromil: What happened with online.net? We considered that at some
>>> point but I don't remember why we didn't go through.
>>
>> didn't.
>>
>> I'll try that.
>>
>> The problem with OVH / Soyoustart / Kimsufi is the high price and
>> unclear conditions for extra IPs. but we may just stay with that if
>> nothing else better pops up
>>

> Jaromil,
>
> The issue with soyoustart is interpretation. They saw we exceeded 16
> free IP's, and decided to bill us for the whole of the last block
> monthly rather then the 2 IP's over. It's stupid on their part, but
> easily worked around. Just get a block of 8 for starters.
>
> Going to another provider would not work with ganeti well because the
> bandwidth constraints would make live migrations prohibitively slow.
>
> Just stick with souyoustart and when you order the next server get a
> block of 16 IP's for that, or even just 8 - it doesn't matter that much,
> the issue was at the time when we got the servers, they had trouble
> providing even single IP's. Hopefully that's not an ongoing issue, and
> the very reason I wanted to get a bigger block up front.
>
> Don't start changing providers without understanding the problems you
> will create in that regard.
>
> just my 2c,
>
> Daniel.

just to note, if it really make sense to move then we do that wholesale
with both servers going there - that's a reasonable option too. We can
migrate the gitlab vm and then manually switch master node and stop the
soyoustart server, but that is still probably going to be a more painful
path, so there needs to be a compelling reason for doing so...

--
Daniel Reurich
Centurion Computer Technology (2005) Ltd.