:: Re: [devuan-dev] new server node
Author: Daniel Reurich
To: devuan developers internal list
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] new server node
On 13/07/17 23:57, Jaromil wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jul 2017, Ivan J. wrote:
>
>> Quoting a fellow Tor exit operator and friend (about hetzner):
>>
>>> Snooping, horrible upload, upload is 50mbits, download lucky to get
>>> 500. "gigabit guaranteed" my arse. i had a dedi.
>
> ACK. as a former Tor exit operator, I do trust your friend's judgement
> more than their marketing.
>

>> Jaromil: What happened with online.net? We considered that at some
>> point but I don't remember why we didn't go through.
>
> didn't.
>
> I'll try that.
>
> The problem with OVH / Soyoustart / Kimsufi is the high price and
> unclear conditions for extra IPs. but we may just stay with that if
> nothing else better pops up

Jaromil,

The issue with soyoustart is interpretation. They saw we exceeded 16
free IP's, and decided to bill us for the whole of the last block
monthly rather then the 2 IP's over. It's stupid on their part, but
easily worked around. Just get a block of 8 for starters.

Going to another provider would not work with ganeti well because the
bandwidth constraints would make live migrations prohibitively slow.

Just stick with souyoustart and when you order the next server get a
block of 16 IP's for that, or even just 8 - it doesn't matter that much,
the issue was at the time when we got the servers, they had trouble
providing even single IP's. Hopefully that's not an ongoing issue, and
the very reason I wanted to get a bigger block up front.

Don't start changing providers without understanding the problems you
will create in that regard.

just my 2c,

Daniel.