:: Re: [DNG] Linus can no longer trust…
Author: Miles Fidelman
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Linus can no longer trust "init"
On 7/10/17 4:17 PM, KatolaZ wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 04:07:48PM -0400, Miles Fidelman wrote:
>
> [cut]
>
>> Systemd may be free, but it's approach to agglomerating function after
>> function, and becoming a requirement for more and more other software - is
>> an affront to software freedom. That MIGHT be, or become, of interest &
>> concern to him. It really is time to start raising the issue through the
>> FSF - on the libreplanet-discuss email list, at the annual conference, etc.
>>
>> It might also be of interest to Eric Raymond (Cathedral & The Bazaar).
>>
> Miles, is it of interest to *you*? Great, then raise the issue
> wherever you can, do whatever you can to let people know that this is
> bullshit, do whatever you can to help projects which are trying to
> develop alternatives to systemd. Why shall you wait for RMS or ESR to
> get into the battle? If devuan were still waiting for RMS or Linus or
> whoever else to join the quest, we would not have much to talk about
> today.
>
> The community is not an abstract mass of unspecified people. The
> community is a collection of *individuals*, and the actions of a
> community are the result of the actions of the individuals that are
> part of it.

Well, I do. But I'm nowhere near as visible, or influential, as a Linus
Torvalds, or RMS, or Eric Raymond. When it comes to distros and init
systems, I'm basically a server-side user, in the context of internal
operations & a tiny service bureau.

I'm pretty much limited to being very careful about the distros I run,
and the packages I install - and it's becoming harder and harder to
avoid the systemd hairball.

What we need are folks in a position to influence interfaces, standards,
tools, and general design practices across the developer community
(e.g., exhorting folks to develop software that is not dependent on
systemd).

>> It might be time to make systemd-free a "campaign" (in the same sense as
>> "anybrowser").
>>
> A "campaign" is made of single actions, and does not need to be
> orchestrated by a supernatural entity. I know that they are doing
> whatever is in their ability to let us believe the contrary, but in
> this community each and every opinion matters, and each and every
> action is important and meaningful. The only meaningless action is
> waiting for somebody else to come up with a meaningful action on
> behalf of the entire community...
>
> We are the community. We need to act for ourselves.

So far, that's not working all that well.

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra