:: Re: [DNG] Linus can no longer trust…
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Linus can no longer trust "init"
On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 04:07:48PM -0400, Miles Fidelman wrote:

[cut]

> Systemd may be free, but it's approach to agglomerating function after
> function, and becoming a requirement for more and more other software - is
> an affront to software freedom. That MIGHT be, or become, of interest &
> concern to him. It really is time to start raising the issue through the
> FSF - on the libreplanet-discuss email list, at the annual conference, etc.
>
> It might also be of interest to Eric Raymond (Cathedral & The Bazaar).

Miles, is it of interest to *you*? Great, then raise the issue
wherever you can, do whatever you can to let people know that this is
bullshit, do whatever you can to help projects which are trying to
develop alternatives to systemd. Why shall you wait for RMS or ESR to
get into the battle? If devuan were still waiting for RMS or Linus or
whoever else to join the quest, we would not have much to talk about
today.

The community is not an abstract mass of unspecified people. The
community is a collection of *individuals*, and the actions of a
community are the result of the actions of the individuals that are
part of it.

> It might be time to make systemd-free a "campaign" (in the same sense as
> "anybrowser").

A "campaign" is made of single actions, and does not need to be
orchestrated by a supernatural entity. I know that they are doing
whatever is in their ability to let us believe the contrary, but in
this community each and every opinion matters, and each and every
action is important and meaningful. The only meaningless action is
waiting for somebody else to come up with a meaningful action on
behalf of the entire community...

We are the community. We need to act for ourselves.

KatolaZ