:: Re: [DNG] Linus can no longer trust…
Author: Miles Fidelman
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Linus can no longer trust "init"
On 7/10/17 3:23 PM, KatolaZ wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 01:53:09PM -0500, Nate Bargmann wrote:
>> * On 2017 10 Jul 12:45 -0500, mdn wrote:
>>> I too but RMS just care about licensing and a bit community relations
>>> atm (from what I can observe).
>> Unfortunately, that seems to be the case. Just because the code is GPL,
>> it seems fine by him.
> Sorry, but I really don't see what RMS should do here. He has focussed
> his entire life on the fundamental problem of making sure that
> software remains free, as in speech, and he has always (and
> rightfully, IMHO) avoided to intervene in any technical battle we have
> seen in the free-software world in the last 30 years, with the only
> hilarious exception of the vi-vs-emacs farse, epitomised in the
> fictious character of St. IGNUcious....
>
> From a technical point of view, systemd is free software, and trying
> to deny it is just stupid:

But keep in mind that RMS is also interested in the impact of licensing,
and is a firm proponent of the "Unix way."

Systemd may be free, but it's approach to agglomerating function after
function, and becoming a requirement for more and more other software -
is an affront to software freedom. That MIGHT be, or become, of
interest & concern to him. It really is time to start raising the issue
through the FSF - on the libreplanet-discuss email list, at the annual
conference, etc.

It might also be of interest to Eric Raymond (Cathedral & The Bazaar).

It might be time to make systemd-free a "campaign" (in the same sense as
"anybrowser").

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra