:: Re: [DNG] I have a question about l…
Author: Miroslav Rovis
To: Svante Signell
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] I have a question about libsystemd0 in devuan ascii,
Hi Svante and everybody!

(and zap, to whom you right as second person in the email I'm replying to. zap
might give useful advice, since he --later-- reported he successfully installed
OpenRC)

Svante, I'm taking your suggestion in the other thread some three days ago now,
or so.

I want to try OpenRC in my Devuan.

On 170617-14:32+0200, Svante Signell wrote:
> On Sat, 2017-06-17 at 05:59 -0400, zap wrote:
> > okay, then. The computer I have it on needs some work anyways.
>
> Hi zap,

I'm not sure about the below:

> Did you see my mail? I can send you the packages
> libfdisk1     2.29.2-1+devuan1
> util-linux    2.29.2-1+devuan1

I believe/hope all that is necessary is now in these repos that you wrote
below (but is it so?):

> until they are available if you are on i386. Then you can try openrc
> out, just add to your /etc/apt/sources.list:
> deb http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged ascii  main
> deb http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/devuan ascii-proposed  main

Except, in the other email, which is some two days ago, the second line is:
deb     http://packages.devuan.org/devuan ascii-proposed main
and so I added that newer line, by you. I added it to, ah, here's the entire:
# cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/devuan-ascii.list
    # /etc/apt/sources.list.d/devuan-ascii.list
    deb     http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged ascii main
    deb-src http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged ascii main
    deb     http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged ascii-updates main
    deb-src http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged ascii-updates main
    deb     http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged ascii-security main
    deb-src http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged ascii-security main
    # ascii-proposed, for openrc
    deb     http://packages.devuan.org/devuan ascii-proposed main
#

I hope that is fine.

> for the other packages.
> and
> apt-get update
> apt-get install ...

Install which packages?
Note at proofreading: probably those that you said to zap that you would send,
and which by now might be in the ascii-proposed repo.

From the other email of yours (let me paste it here, and it is this email on
the web --for other readers, since more non-experts like me read this ML--:
error processing package initscripts, because /lib/init/vars.sh missing
https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/20170706.105041.4bae37b7.en.html
):

(quote created manually)
> Regarding util-linux (2.29.2-1+devuan1) that version is needed in order
> to install sysvinit-utils (2.88dsf-59.9+devuan2) required by
> initscripts (2.88dsf-59.9+devuan2) and
> sysvinit-core (2.88dsf-59.9+devuan2) is needed if you want to try openrc out.
> In such case you need to enable ascii-proposed:
> deb http://packages.devuan.org/devuan ascii-proposed main

I'm not sure I understand completely. But in bottom I'll give what I have
installed...

Reading the thread of yours now (I've had other business in the meantime,
writing this for 1/2 of a day by now)...

> NOTE: If you are on real HW, please make sure you can recover in case
> something goes wrong!!!

I'll have to spend a few hours, as I'm rather meticulous, but I will be able to
recover in case of failure.

IOW: I'm not asking for any warranties. I liked using OpenRC in Gentoo very
much... It is generally great, and it does not depend on Dbus (or D-bus), a
program which I... don't like. It is touted by the sans-systemd camp in Gentoo
(still a majority, but I'm not following since maybe two months or so) for that
free-from-dbus feature.

> If you are on amd64 or some other arch I can send you the source files
> (or you can install and build them yourself by: adding
> deb-src http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/devuan     ascii-proposed  main

Is it still necessary to be sent these source files you mentioned above?

Or should I see if this works?
> apt-get update
> apt-get source util-linux (Does not work for me. The Sources file is
> unfortunately empty)
> apt-get build-dep util-linux
> cd util-linux-2.29.2
> dpkg-buildpackage -b
> cd ../build-area
> dpkg -i util-linux_2.29.2-1+devuan1_<your_arch>.deb libfdisk1_2.29.2-
> 1+devuan1_<your_arch>.deb

I am going to try it even as I wait for a reply.

By the way, if I get into more difficulty understanding the procedure, I'll
open a topic in Dev1Galaxy (and just link to it), not to disturb this ML with
beginners' issues.

So here's what I have installed (I ran 'apt-get update' last night after having
added ascii-proposed to my sources):

# apt-cache policy util-linux
util-linux:
  Installed: 2.28-1+devuan3
  Candidate: 2.28-1+devuan3
  Version table:
 *** 2.28-1+devuan3 500
        500 http://packages.devuan.org/merged ascii/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged ascii/main amd64 Packages
        100 http://packages.devuan.org/devuan ascii-proposed/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://packages.devuan.org/devuan ascii/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

# apt-cache policy initscripts
initscripts:
  Installed: 2.88dsf-59.3+devuan2
  Candidate: 2.88dsf-59.3+devuan2
  Version table:
     2.88dsf-59.9+devuan2 100
        100 http://packages.devuan.org/devuan ascii-propose
 *** 2.88dsf-59.3+devuan2 500
        500 http://packages.devuan.org/merged ascii/main am
        500 http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged ascii/main
        500 http://packages.devuan.org/devuan ascii/main am
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

# apt-cache policy sysvinit-core
sysvinit-core:
  Installed: 2.88dsf-59.3+devuan2
  Candidate: 2.88dsf-59.3+devuan2
  Version table:
     2.88dsf-59.9+devuan2 100
        100 http://packages.devuan.org/devuan ascii-proposed/main amd64 Packages
 *** 2.88dsf-59.3+devuan2 500
        500 http://packages.devuan.org/merged ascii/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged ascii/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://packages.devuan.org/devuan ascii/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

# apt-cache policy sysvinit-utils
sysvinit-utils:
  Installed: 2.88dsf-59.3+devuan2
  Candidate: 2.88dsf-59.3+devuan2
  Version table:
     2.88dsf-59.9+devuan2 100
        100 http://packages.devuan.org/devuan ascii-proposed/main amd64 Packages
 *** 2.88dsf-59.3+devuan2 500
        500 http://packages.devuan.org/merged ascii/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged ascii/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://packages.devuan.org/devuan ascii/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

So, questioning is the way to understanding... I finally see a little clearer.
Only util-linux is not in the repo, and needs to be compiled...

And maybe also libfdisk1, let me see:

# apt-cache policy libfdisk1
libfdisk1:
  Installed: 2.28-1+devuan3
  Candidate: 2.28-1+devuan3
  Version table:
 *** 2.28-1+devuan3 500
        500 http://packages.devuan.org/merged ascii/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged ascii/main amd64 Packages
        100 http://packages.devuan.org/devuan ascii-proposed/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://packages.devuan.org/devuan ascii/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Yeah, that one as well is not in the ascii-proposed repo!

Svante, pls. send me the packages if needed! Or zap, you can send them to me
either. As soon as I get them, I'll confirm with a short notice to this ML.

And then I go (quote already brought up way up in this email... btw sorry for
the mess, have already re-written it a few times, tired...):
> apt-get source util-linux (Does not work for me. The Sources file is
> unfortunately empty)
> apt-get build-dep util-linux
> cd util-linux-2.29.2
> dpkg-buildpackage -b
> cd ../build-area
> dpkg -i util-linux_2.29.2-1+devuan1_<your_arch>.deb libfdisk1_2.29.2-
> 1+devuan1_<your_arch>.deb

Regards!
--
Miroslav Rovis